Below are the responsibilities of the Alabama Commission on Higher Education.
The Commission is not responsible for:
- approves new units
of instruction. This includes new
institutions, mergers, branch
campuses, colleges, schools, division and departments.
- approves any new academic programs.
- approves off-campus instruction.
- facilitates planning for higher education. This includes developing
a statewide plan.
- reviews and makes recommendations concerning existing programs.
- prepares a Consolidated Budget Recommendation to the Governor and the Legislature.
- collects and compiles information concerning higher education in the State.
- administers student assistance programs.
- conducts studies on higher education issues and makes recommendations to
the institutions, the Legislature and the Governor concerning its findings.
- provides a state-level framework for institutions to respond
cooperatively and individually to the needs of the citizens of the State.
- reviews institutional facilities masterplans and report to trustees
and the Legislature.
- maintains an electronic student unit record system to provide
accountability on student progress.
- oversight for the programmatic review of private and public institutions operating as foreign
corporations in Alabama in accord with the regulatory
authority assigned to the Commission by statute.
Code of Alabama
- the appropriation or allocation of funds.
- the termination of existing programs or existing
units of instruction outside the program viability process.
- the approval of new construction projects.
- the establishment of tuition and fees.
- recommending/enforcing policies concerning enrollment parameters. This
includes: setting enrollment caps; limiting the number of out-of-state
students; setting residency requirements; or setting admission standards.
- setting faculty work loads or salaries.
- the hiring and firing of personnel at the institutions.
This website will provide you access to a compilation of the codified statutes of Alabama. In order to access the site, please click on the above link. Once there, go to the blue-colored left sidebar menu and click on "View". After the next page appears, scroll down and select "Title 16: Education." Code sections related to the Alabama Commission on Higher Education can be found under Chapter 5.
This site will provide you access to the Alabama Administrative Code published by the
Legislative Reference Service pursuant to subsection (e) of Section 41-2--7 of
the Code of Alabama 1975. The Alabama Administrative Code is a compilation of
of all state agencies covered by the Alabama Administrative
Procedure Act. The procedures of the Commission on Higher Education may be
found under Chapter 300.